Monday, March 4, 2013

New York, New York

Last week-end I was fortunate enough to spend a few days in New York with just the hubby.  The kids were looked after by various friends back in Utah, while Damian & I managed to have some adult time which involved lots of shopping, eating and drinking.

We stayed at the Library Hotel which is just around the corner from, you guessed it, the main New York library.  I couldn't recommend it higher.  Although our room was the size of a postage stamp with just a full sized bed, the bathroom and the rest of the hotel made up for it.


I can't believe how gorgeous the library is inside.



It was just a stones throw away from Grand Central Station.  And although we didn't take any trains while we were there, it's pretty central to most anything.




 Look how gorgeous the entrances to the platforms are.


Why is everyone dressed in black?

We saw some cool architecture.




Admired some doors in Greenwich Village.



Had a pint or two at the Spotted Pig.


Damian bought a knock-off Burberry scarf for $10 from a street vendor.

Had some more drinks at a speakeasy. If I told you where it is I'd have to shoot you ;)



Visited the amazing ABC Carpet & Home.



I'd love to have this gorgeous chandelier somewhere in my home.  But then I noticed the price.


Ahh, cute bunnies.



And, of course, carpets!



A man cave for Damian?


Madeleine Weinrib.  Gorge.

 
John Robshaw, another favourite.


And some very expensive objet d'art.


A quick skip and a hop over to Chelsea to visit the Apple Store and it's amazing glass staircase.


And onwards to Chelsea Market.


Where we spied some fun cupcakes.


And cakes!


We finished the day with a couple of cocktails at The Roosevelt Hotel, a la Madmen style.


I like how Damian matches the decor.


The next day was very wet, so we spent it trawling around the department stores near Central Park.  My favourite, which unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of, Bergdorf Goodman.  Absolutely gorgeous.

I did get a view from the window, though.


F.A.O Schwartz, so much nicer than Hamleys in London.


And finally a lovely respite from the rain, Todd English's food hall in the bottom of the Plaza Hotel.



Yum!  Unfortunately 3 days was just not long enough.  Next time I'd like to walk the Brooklyn Bridge and visit all of the cool neighbourhoods over there.

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne,
    I'm betting that Batman sculpture is the work of Nathan Sawaya. Just in case your kids are jealous of your trip to NYC, Sawaya has an exhibit on right now at the Kimball Art Center in Park City. Free. Here's a link: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=24011174

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks so much for the heads up. We hope to be heading up to PC in the next few weeks, we'll definitely check it out.

      Delete