Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bookcase Inspiration


More progress is being made in the music room.  It's now a music room/library with the addition of some stacked Billy bookcases from Ikea.  I wanted the shelves to go up to the ceiling so we had to buy a tall and a short bookcase and cobble them together.  The short bookcase had to be cut down to fit which was a pain.  But they came out okay, for chipboard crap that is.  Just don't look too closely.

Here's some inspiration pictures that I pinned onto my board on Pinterest.




In the picture above, I love the juxtaposition of the plain shelves against the ornate cornices in the room.  I think it creates a certain amount of tension and unexpectedness (I'm pretty certain that's not a word).  That's kind of the look I'm going for.  I did toy with the idea of adding trim to the bookcases to make them look built-in, but I kind of like the look of them as is.  There's plenty of architectural elements in the room already.  I showed this to Damian and he didn't get it at all.


Isn't the above room lovely?

And of course, I had to include some bookshelves from my favorite designer, Windsor Smith.



The above two rooms are perfection in my eyes.


When I saw this room from Elle Decor what stood out the most to me were the sconces either side of the bookcase.  Umm, that would be a good way to dress up some plain Billys.


I even bought a tulip table like the one above, just smaller.  I was going to use it like this but I think it looks pretty in the bathroom.  I might just style it like this for a laugh (minus the dead cow), as I also have some tolix chairs.


Here are the lights that I've ordered to go either side of the bookcase.  They should be here in a few weeks.


And if I could style my bookcase anyway like this one I'd be happy.  Unfortunately most of my books are children's paperbacks.  I may have to hit up some charity shops to find some hardback books to fill the shelves.

All of the above pictures and their sources can be found on Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. I love your bookshelves, and all the inspiration pictures! I am also obsessed with bookshelves (and filling my living room with them) and it looks like you have an angled fireplace - which I also have and am trying to work in/around it with the bookshelves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Victoria, I do have an angled fireplace and it's taken me 14 years to finally decided what to do with the wall next to it. I'm really happy with the way the bookcases look, but it's been quite a challenge to fill them. Thank goodness I have a HomeGoods store near me, and some good thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete