Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sofa Makeover, Final Reveal.


Three days and $65 later;  huge improvement.  Remember what the old sofa looked like?

I thought that the back looked pretty plain, so I decided to add some buttons and tufting like this Anthropologie sofa.


Making the buttons was pretty simple.


Sewing them on and tufting was OK.

That's the back
Keeping the buttons on was another matter!


The tufting kept breaking the buttons; really annoying.

But I persevered.  The sewing became easier and neater, and the cursing became less.  And voila, a new sofa.  It's a great jumping off point for the rest of the room.  I haven't decided on what cushions, if any, to  get for it.  I'm debating the DwellStudio chinoiserie pillow.

But I think I have too many birds around as it is.  We'll see.

Here's some more pictures of the sofa, styled with some pillows.



Some detailed pictures of the back and arms.


And finally, a picture of it in situ (in front of the fire).



I am feeling pretty trigger happy with the staple gun these days.  DI (Deseret Industries - goodwill) here I come!

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous. I love your curtains too. I have cushions made from the same fabric...wink, wink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gorgeous, I've been dying to redo my couch; this gives me hope! you make it look easy. One quick question though, is that upholstery fabric or regular fabric?

    http://kahyzen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. It's not upholstery fabric just a medium weight cotton.

      Delete
  3. I used that stupid buttons from Joanns too, so frustrating! I finally ended up going to a local upholstery shop and he made them for me on his big upholstery button machine, $1 each! I love the chevron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea about going to the upholstery shop, I wish I'd thought of that. Good luck with your project!

      Delete