Monday, September 9, 2013

Not another bedroom duvet: you really do get what you pay for!

Yes, another post about my house.  Sorry, I really will try and mix it up more.  And I really must start on all of those DIY projects that I've been neglecting so that I can have something other than "look what I bought today" posts.  I promise I'll try harder.  Having said that, here's another one of those posts!


I don't know about you, but my inbox is bombarded with emails about current sales.  And as many of you will know, I can't resist picking up a bargain.  Last week Urban Outfitters had an extra 30% off sale items.  I've not bought much from there before, but what I have bought has been for my bedroom. A few years ago I bought a patterned quilt and a blue rug from them.

Do I need another duvet?  Absolutely not, but I do like to have options.  Also, I wanted to see the difference in quality between the UO bedding and the more expensive Anthropologie bedding.

Urban Outfitters is owned by the same people as Anthropologie, but caters to a much more youthful crowd (not that I'm not youthful still, but you know what I mean).  As such the goods are generally lower priced and, as you guessed it, not as well made as the pieces from Anthro.  I was really surprised though that I could get a duvet and 2 shams in a style that is very similar to my DwellStudio bedding for less than $50. As a point of reference, the DwellStudio set retails for $350 and used to be carried by Anthropologie.


So how do they compare?  They look similar, very similar.  In fact I think if you mixed the DwellStudio Chinoiserie set with the DwellStudio Peacock set you'd get the Urban Outfitters set!  Quality wise, though, that's where the similarity ends.  Surprisingly the cheaper UO set has ties inside to hold the corners, which the more expensive DwellStudio set doesn't.  But the opening where you stuff the duvet in on the cheaper set only has 3 buttons and so that duvet gaps out a bit at the bottom.  It's also very, very stiff.  The fabric is not at all smooth or silky like higher end bedding.  It's almost like sleeping under a painters cloth.

But I do love the pink bird!


See if you can spot the difference between the photos below.


Yep, I can mix and match the pillows with my old set!

And if you want to see how my bed looks with my different duvets go here, here, and here.

1 comment:

  1. Your Urban Outfitters is so much better than our Urban Outfitters (where they don't even have this set available - boo). Well, even if the quality is a bit rubbish, it sure does look pretty :) xxx

    ReplyDelete