Friday, March 18, 2011

Office Makeover Part 1: Before

Yesterday we celebrated Saint Patricks Day.  I can honestly say that I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me, but since moving to the States, this day has been a fun one to celebrate.  However, since having kids the day has taken on a whole new meaning.  Gone are the days of downing Guiness in the local Irish pub while dancing the gig.  We now instead get visits from little green creatures that create havoc in our normally calm and tidy home (well some of the time).  Those Irish Leprechauns are pesky little beepers!  Look what they did to my living room.


Ok, who am I kidding?  Unfortunately can't blame this mess on Leprechauns.  It's the result of finally deciding to makeover our home office.  Funny how such a small room can have such a huge impact on the rest of the house.

Below are pictures of our lovely office before.  Please excuse the mess.  I would love to be able to tell you that it's not usually this disorganized and chaotic, but truth be told, it's looked like this for a long time.  I think I tidy it once a year when it's time to do the taxes.  Hopefully, that will change once the new space is finished.




Notice the lovely faux orange walls, the mismatched furniture and the appalling filing system.

A lot of the furniture is now scattered throughout the rest of the house, including the kitchen.  Arghh!


It's seriously about time this project was finished.  Unfortunately there was a major hiccup.  Remember the paint that I won for winning the Room for Color Contest on Apartment Therapy?  Well, if you recall, I had to choose the paint colours rather quickly.  And silly me, I just went and got a bunch of paint swatches from Home Depot and held them up to the wall.  How could I make a mistake?  Grey is grey right?  Wrong!  What I thought was grey is actually a lovely baby blue, great if you're decorating a nursery, not so great if you're trying to emulate a cool, modern work space.  So, after two coats of the stuff, and many days of waiting and praying that the colour would miraculously morph in to the colour I wanted (it didn't, except under a certain light, which is that 10 minutes a day between sunset and night), I decided that I needed to repaint.  The lovely boys in the Home Depot paint department took my tin of paint and added some black and brown to it to get it to be more grey.  Two new coats later, voila, lilac!  Aaghh! 


Meanwhile, the boys are having much more success with their remodelling/building projects.



Come back soon for the reveal of my first ever design board.  You design blog junkies will know what that is.

2 comments:

  1. Your living room looks like my upstairs hallway! Good luck with your office reno - looking forward to seeing the after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma, things are coming along. Hope to have house back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete