Monday, November 21, 2011

New David Trubridge Coral Light in Music Room

The music room is slowly coming together.  I finally hung the new light fixture that I bought months ago from a flash sale on Fab.com.  I took a huge risk with this one.  It's really hard to judge what something will look like from a tiny picture on the internet.  And I have to admit it was one of those impulse buys.  Fab.com was having one of its designer sales and they were featuring the lighting of David Trubridge.  I had never heard of him before, but something struck a chord with me about how organic and interesting his lights were.  And the fact that it was about to sell out (and it was over half price) may have had something to do with it.  But I love to juxtapose traditional with modern elements to make rooms feel a little bit unexpected, so after calling Damian and getting the OK I put it in my shopping cart.

Fast forward to Sunday morning, having just finished tiling the fireplace, this was the next task on my list.  The light had arrived in a neat, little box, unassembled.  The instructions stated that it should take 40 to 60 minutes to assemble.  OK, believe that.  I had seen this light on another blog, and they said it took them 4 hours!  I was determined to beat that time.  So I set about assembling it.  It took a lot longer than the 40 minutes, and I can only equate it to building the lego death star.  And it kind of resembles it also.  I'm sure that it's not everyones cup of tea, and it is really big (31.5 inches diameter to be exact), but I love it.  It also casts a fabulous pattern on the ceiling and walls when turned on,  might be a bit distracting when you're trying to play the piano, but cool none the less.


It's made out of bamboo and has a lovely, organic and natural look to it.


I bought it in the caramel color.


One down only 12 more to go!


 Three hours, one massive splinter, and incredibly sore thumbs later, et voila, the death star has arrived!


It casts great shadows on the ceiling and walls.  A bit like a disco ball, but more tasteful, I hope.


And I had to include this last shot of the fireplace, because the light was shining so nicely on the brass surround.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who voted for me in the Apartment Therapy Room for Color Contest 2011.  I came 3rd in the Western Division with a lucky 333 votes!

1 comment:

  1. It's really lovely. I just love how your style has become more and more defined over the years. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete